Subscribe To Rosie Bakes A 'Peace' of Cake

Wednesday 30 January 2008

Football / Soccer Birthday Cake

Football / Soccer Birthday Cake

It’s this time of year again to bake my son’s birthday cake. He is an avid football fan of his home team so I put my thinking cap on and came up with this cake. The cake is a normal sponge baked in a 20cm (8 in) square cake tin. The board I covered in a light green fondant icing and textured it a little. I coloured the actual cake with a darker green fondant icing. Piped the lines in with royal icing making a huge mistake of leaving the halfway line out until hubby put me straight on the matter *giggle*. For the base of the cake, I rolled out strips of green fondant and snipped them through like a frill to resemble grass. All the football decorations are made by Wilton and I purchased mine from a Lakeland store. The flags are just simply made from florist wire and flower sugarpaste. For the football candles these were brought in a local supermarket.


Make the cake in the same form of my “Hearts & Roses For My Valentine Cake” but in a square 20cm (8 in) cake tin and adjust the baking time 40 – 50 minutes or until baked and golden brown. The only difference you will need edible green food colourings and pipe the royal icing as in the picture. Stick the goal posts figures and candles down with a little royal icing to secure them.

You could always make my Madeira cake or if you wish the cake to be taller make two sponge cakes and sandwich them together with jam and or butter icing.

23 comments:

Donna said...

This would be a fun cake to make for our William on his birthday this summer!! HOW do you DO these things???!!!LOL Much love!!!

Rosie said...

Hi Donna, it's a very easy cake to make and it only takes a couple of hours. Ahhh that would be an honour if you baked this for your William birthday :) Heehee ideas come to me as i'm creating the cake in my little kitchen.

Sending hugs your way ((((())))

Rosie x

Namratha said...

Fabulous cake Rosie, you are so creative! I hope to make cakes like this someday :)

Cakelaw said...

This is adorable Rosie - if I knew a soccer loving boy, they would love this!

Nirmala said...

Wow, your cake is just amazing!

Pixie said...

aww your such a wonderful mum! Fabulous birthday cake except for the fact, that it's all about football lol I want to see a Barbie cake.

Rosie said...

Hi Namratha, thank you and such a compliment coming from an excellent baker! I fell in love with your latest iced cake – beautiful and such a talent you have too :D

Hi Cakelaw, many thanks so very kind of you :)

Hi Nirmala, welcome and lovely to *see* you here! :D You have a great looking blog and many mouth watering bakes – yum !

Hi Pixie, I know what you mean re:football I’d rather have a Barbie cake any day *giggle*! :D

Thank you all for calling by and also for your kind comments, says she with a huge smile on her face! :D

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Great cake, i'm sure your son is going to love it ;o)

Maria
x

Rosie said...

Hi Maria, my son has seen his cake and he's over the mooon, bless him :)

Thanks for a lovely comment and for popping by :)

Rosie x

Latha Narasimhan said...

Lovely decoration rosie! Nice cake for your son's B'Day!! :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

You must have one very happy son. Excellent job...and happy birthday!!!

Rosie said...

Hi Latha, yes I have one happy son here with his cake :) Thanks for your lovely comment :D

Hi Valli, I will pass on your birthday wishes thank you and yes you guessed one very happy son here! :D

Thanks for calling by lovely to *see* you both here

Rosie x

Finla said...

I am sure you son is really happy to have a mom who bakes him football cake.

Rosie said...

Hi Happy, awe thanks you’re a sweetie :) The only problem is I have to bake my own birthday cake when it comes around to mine but the best bit is I get to choose what I want LOL ;)

Many thanks for calling by Happy and your lovely comment as always :D

Rosie x

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Wow! Rosie, this cake is really impressive! I admire your work!!
I love the one for Valentines day as well... amazing :)

Have a great weekend, Margot

Cakespy said...

Not only adorable but it sounds like a quality cake! I love it!! This is the type of sport I like.

Rosie said...

Hi Margot, what a lovely compliment, thank you :D

Hi Cakespy, heehee not only a game for boys we girls can join in too ;) Thank you for your lovely comment!

Many thanks Margot & Cakespy for calling by :)

Rosie x

Maggie said...

I love the cake. It brings back fond memories of when I used to make novelty cakes for my children when they were young. The cake looks very special and he will always remember it.

Rosie said...

Hi M, thank you! He really did enjoy this cake ;) Anything to do with football its A1 in his eyes lol

Thanks for calling by & your lovely comment :)

Rosie x

Nic said...

Wow! Fab cake - bet your son loved it - I do!

Rosie said...

Hi nicisme, he really did love this cake :)

Thanks for your lovely comment and for calling by :)

Rosie x

Chef Jeena said...

What a treat for your son I bet he was thrilled to get this cake. :-)

Rosie said...

Hi Jeena, lovely to *see* you :) Oh yes my son really enjoyed his cake, anything to do with football and its great with him lol

Thanks for calling by :)

Rosie x