Subscribe To Rosie Bakes A 'Peace' of Cake

Friday 24 August 2007

Profiteroles with vanilla cream

What a blast I have had folks in the kitchen today! This was my first time of making profiteroles and it’s something that’s been on the backburner for me to bake for ages. They maybe not 100% perfect on the chocolate topping but that’s the beauty of homemade baking.

Making the choux pastry wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. I just needed good elbow grease, as my mother would have said. Beating vigorously to a glossy formed ball of pastry for the next stage of piping.

For the fun part, piping little rounds onto a lined baking tray and watching them rise and go golden in the oven. I did keep to the instructions of not bringing them out of the oven too soon to flop. Placed them on a wire rack to cool completely.

I whipped double cream, 5mls icing sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract (my only variation on the recipe) to a soft peek. I inserted the tip of a sharp knife into the cooled choux buns making a hole in each to pipe the vanilla cream. I knew when they were filled with a sufficient amount as the cream just peeks through the hole in the bun.

For the messy part, melt the chocolate in the microwave for a few minutes or on a double boiler on the stove. Now the chocolate has melted, dip each choux bun top in the chocolate. I left mine to cool and set before eating.

What would I alter next time of making these? I would adjust the chocolate to a sweeter one. My sweet tooth prevails here I’m afraid. Recipe here.

No comments: