Subscribe To Rosie Bakes A 'Peace' of Cake

Tuesday 25 November 2008

Santa Baby, Slip A “Stained Glass Window Cookie” Under The Tree For Me!!

I've been an awful good girl
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight......


I do adore this time of year with lots of wonderful Christmassy baking and cooking in the run up to the biggest event for every cooks/baker who celebrates Christmas. The aroma of aromatic spices wafting through the air of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg etc, perhaps a warm toddy of mulled wine to give you Christmas cheer or a warmed mince pie with lush brandy butter, which all evoke memories of Christmas past and present!

I have already posted my Christmas fruit cake and its being ‘fed’ each week with brandy until nearer the time to marzipan and fondant ice; also my boozy mincemeat is maturing for my mince pies.

I am now going to commence my countdown to Christmas baking on my blog, in addition to other bakes. I will lead you through traditional fare that is eaten here in the U.K. and/or around the world. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I will baking my way through these delectable delights.







To kick start this affair off, I have chosen Christmas Stained Glass Window Cookies to share with you. They are easy to make and look wonderful hung on the Christmas tree. The light catches perfectly those little centres of jewels glistening away. They can become a little sticky if left too long to hang, that is if little fingers allow for them to be there any length of time * giggle*! It’s a little early here to hang them on the tree here, but I did cut a few branches off a little bush I have, to show you the effect they can give in my pictures.



I am also sending my Christmas Stained Glass Window Cookies to Susan at Food Blogger who is hosting a superb event – Eat Christmas Cookies, season 2, Christmas Cookies From Around The World. Susan is posting cookies and links on her site as they are sent into her from participants. I have linked above the event if you would like to participate. If you would like to view the cookies that participants are sending in [click here].


Here is the recipe for the Christmas Stained Glass Window Cookies if you would like to recreate a little magic of light for your Christmas tree at home.

Christmas Stained Glass Window Cookies

Makes approximately 12

Ingredients
175g (6 oz) plain flour
75g (3 oz) butter
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg white
2 tbsp orange juice
225g (8 oz) hard boiled sweets in assorted colours
Thin ribbon
You will need 2 baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Cookie cutters (large and smaller shapes) to the design you wish to make, Christmas trees, bells, reindeer, stars etc....

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Prepare your baking sheets by lining with non-stick paper.

Put the flour, butter, sugar into a food processor and blend quickly together then add the egg white and drizzle in the orange juice, the dough will start to form into a ball, try not to over work the dough to much. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly then wrap in cling film and press into a circle and chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.

You will need to break up the hard boiled sweets into tiny pieces but keep each colour separate. I placed each batch of colour into a strong plastic bag and bashed them with my rolling pin!

Unwrap the dough and roll out on a floured surface to s thickness of about 5mm (¼ in). Now cut out your desired shape(s) by using a larger cutter(s) and a smaller one(s) for cutting out the centre. (Roll up the dough and reroll and cut out more shapes). Place onto the baking trays and fill each centre of each cookie with one selected colour of hard boiled sweet bits. With a skewer make a little hole in the top of the cookie, this allows to place the ribbon through at a later stage.

Place into the preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Place a skewer back into the holes at the top of the cookies to open them up. Leave to cool on the baking trays until cool enough to peel off. Lastly thread the ribbon through the holes at the top of each cookie. Hang on the tree to glisten away.


27 comments:

Maggie said...

How pretty are these Rosie! I just love them to bits.

RecipeGirl said...

Rosie,
These are beautiful! I saw a similar recipe recently that I was considering for this year. They'd be so nice to hang on the tree :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So pretty and very decorative!

Cheers,

Rosa

Ivy said...

Gorgeous pictures!! I am truly inspired. Love those cookie and they make perfect decorations. Thank you for the lovely ideas! :o)

Finla said...

They looks so beautiful.
I am not showing this to my daughter , she will remark, mamma whay are we not making these.

Maria♥ said...

I love Stained Glass Window Cookies, they are so Christmassy. Great job Rosie!

Maria
x

natalia said...

Ciao Rosie! They are so beautiful! I had voted for them..as soon as I have the time I'll make them !!!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This is adorable. I love your new blog look:)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

These have been bookmarked to be made at the weekemd! They would probably freeze ok wouldn't they?

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are perfect for the holidays Rosie!!

Rosie said...

Hi M, awe thank you how kind of you :D

Hi recipegirl, they do look stunning hung on a tree. I hope you get to make some this year :D

Hi Rosa, thank you as always you are very kind :D

Hi Ivy, thank you sweetie and I do hope you will try these cookies out :D

Hi H.C. awe bless her – they are fun for the children to make placing the candy in the centres :D

Hi Maria, many thanks sweetie :D

Hi natalia, I alsovoted to make these on S&SB but the muffins will be great too to bake. I hope you manage to make these they really are fun to do :D

Hi Lisa, many thanks and I thought the cupcakes background was very fitting for this blog full of bakes :D

Hi Beth, Have never frozen these before but I am sure the biscuit base would freeze ok but the glass centre may go a little sticky after thawing due to it being from hard boiled sweets. Sorry I can’t be 100% sure here to help you. But they really are such fun to make. I have another recipe for these on my blog Beth

http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/2007/12/christmas-stained-glass-window-cookies.html

Best wishes to you all my friends and thank you for calling by!

Rosie x

Rosie said...

Thanks Val you are SO kind as always :D

Best wishes Rosie x

Cakelaw said...

Gorgeous cookies Rosie.

grace said...

great, now that song is stuck in my head. good thing it's an enjoyable one. :)
meanwhile, your cookies are fancy and delicate and everything a holiday cookie should be--nicely done. :)

Rosie said...

Hi cakelaw, thank you and your choccie bread looks scrumptious :)

Hi Grace, Thank you! I know what you mean about the song after writing this post I was singing *ouch* well trying to sing, this all day long..

Best wishes to you both Rosie x

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Rosie, this is such a cute idea. I have an award for you here.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Rosie!

I am just smitten with your cookie Christmas tree. What a delightful entry. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Rosie your stained glass cookies have come out so well.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I always do some 'special' baking bits with the kids at Christmas, these would be perfect. What a great iea.

Rosie said...

Hi Jerri, oh thank you so much and the award is truly wonderful ~thank you for thinking of me :)

Hi Susan, what a great event, thank you for hosting :D

Hi Pearlsofeast, thank you and I adore your beautiful coloured cookies :D

Hi Erica, its lovely making things at Christmas time and these cookies would be fun to make with the kids :D

Many thanks my friends for calling by!!


Best wishes Rosie x

Karen said...

I've always thought these cookies were so pretty, but I've never made them. This is a unique addition to the cookie fest!

test it comm said...

That "stained glass" looks great!

Faery said...

Beautiful, beautiful and yummy ...I will copy this idea :D

Rosie said...

Thank you karen, Kevin & Faery! I do hope you will try this recipe out sometime :)

Best wishes Rosie x

Snooky doodle said...

these look so nice. I m gonna try them :)

Thinking About Food said...

Rosie they are just so gorgeous and look so stunning all hanging up like that, you are so clever!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hey Rosie! Just wanted you to know I included your delicious cookie in my latest article at Foodie View. Happy Holidays!