Subscribe To Rosie Bakes A 'Peace' of Cake

Tuesday 4 March 2008

Cupcakes Spectacular 2008 - Chocofee Cupcakes



Cupcakes Spectacular 2008 is a new blogging event hosted by Arfi at Home bakes. This event requires you to bake any kind of cupcake with your favourite flavour and any type of frosting of your choice.



Yesterday my cake tin was empty, which in my household is a rare occasion. I also pondered on what to bake until this event came to my attention. Then decisions, decisions, on what cupcake to make, well chocolate is never far from my mind and spying a bottle of Tia Maria liqueur left over from Christmas, my Chocofee Cupcakes were invented. To describe the texture to these cupcakes is of a moist chocolate coffee sponge with fluffy flavoured butter icings. Now onto the taste combination of chocolate and coffee, lets just say a match made in heaven because equal flavours combine together here in perfect harmony.

Imagine sinking your teeth into firstly the fluffy flavoured icings and onto the lushness of the sponge, these cupcakes are a sheer experience of delightfulness my friends!






Chocofee Cupcakes

Makes 18 cupcakes - approx depending on size of paper cases used

Ingredients
175g (6 oz) softened butter
175g (6 oz) caster sugar
3 eggs
2 tbsp Tia Maria liqueur
175g (5 oz) self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
25g (1 oz) cocoa powder
Butter icing
225g (8 oz) softened butter
450 (1 lb) icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted & a little extra for dusting
1 tbsp Tia Maria liqueur

You will need a 12-hole cupcake tin lined with cupcake paper cases and also an extra cupcake tin lined with 5 cupcake paper cases. 1 piping bag fitted with rose nozzle – ensuring that all traces of the chocolate buttercream icing is removed before piping Tia Maria buttercream icing.


Method

Preheat oven 180°C/fan 160°C/350°C/Gas mark 4.

In a large bowl add the butter and caster sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs with the Tia Maria in a jug and add a little a time to the butter mixture beating between each addition until all combined. Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together over the mixing bowl and fold in gently until all traces of flour mixture are incorporated.

Spoon into the cupcake cases filling about three-quarters full and bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until the tops feel firm to a light touch in the centre or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in their tins before turning out on a wire rack to fully cool.

Make the buttercream icing by adding the softened butter into a bowl and add the icing sugar little by little beating this through adding the milk between additions of adding the icing sugar. Taking a quarter of the buttercream icing, place this into another bowl and add the Tia Maria stirring this through the buttercream. If the mixture seems a little too sloppy add a little more icing sugar. In the other buttercream bowl with the three-quarters of the mixture, add the cocoa powder and also mix this thoroughly through.

Fill one piping bag with chocolate buttercream and pipe around the top of the cupcakes. Fill the other piping bag with the Tia Maria buttercream and pipe a small circle into the centre of each cupcake. Finish off by lightly dusting the top of the cakes with a little cocoa powder. You may find you have a little butter icing left over but not enough to warrant altering the recipe.


Note: If you wish not to use Tia Maria add coffee to the same quantity.

34 comments:

Finla said...

ROSIE you are not going to explain how you were biting to the fluffy icing and to the cake, i had to wipe my keyboard as i was drooling while reading it. You did write imagine :-)))
My daughter is having a group work with her 4 friends in my place tommorow and i was planning to make them simple cup cake with icing, but reading the recipe i want to make them.
But then it will be not for kids, so will stick to normal cup cake and make this another time.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I wonder if Fed Ex sends overseas? It is breakfast here, but I could have these for brekkie couldn't I...coffee, eggs.... :D

Donna said...

LOL....Geez Girl! This is one of those recipes that makes you want to "schmooz" it all in your face!!! LOL..Lordy they look great! hughugs

RecipeGirl said...

Hi Rosie,
If I had a cake tin, I'd be in trouble!! These look delicious. I tend to enjoy cupcakes more than a piece of cake- it seems like you get more frosting out of it!

Pixie said...

Oooh, I love the sound of these! I'll have mine with the tia maria PLEASE!

Peter M said...

I'm a sucker for boozy sweets like these.

Sagari said...

I tried to make cupcakes yesterday but unsuccessfull they beacame very dence and not puffed ,all went to garbage staraightaway from oven

Your cup cakes look yummmm ,wish I too bake like u

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Beautiful cupcakes Rosie! I love coffee flavour... especially mixed with chocolate! I never made a cup cake in my life but I plan to make some this Easter... ;)

Here is North London is very windy today...

Have a wonderful day!

Margot

Namratha said...

Perfect pairing of coffee and chocolate Rosie dear, nice cupcakes :)

Jules said...

These cupcakes look delicious. I love coffee and chocolate together.

Claire said...

Wow, they look lush :D

Anna said...

Coffee & chocolate is my dad's favourite combination; I think I'll make these when I need to scrounge a lift off him ^__^. Great cupcakes! I love this event; I'm looking forward to the roundup already!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Rosie, It is morning tea time, and it is torture not being able to pluck one of these out of the screen. Delish!

Unknown said...

Rosie, this is what we call 'adult' cupcakes, something using alcohol which probably gives more flavour. These look great!! Good on you filling the cake tin with cupcakes. I am just afraid that you should bake more, as these will be finished, FAST!!

Cheers,
ab

Nic said...

Rosie - I love coffee cakes and these really are spectacular. I wish I had one right now....

David Hall said...

chocofee cupcakes? Rosie, I've asked before and I will ask again - WILL YOU MARRY ME?! :o)

Delicious.

Cheers
David

Finla said...

Hi rosie i made this cup cake and have posted them in my place, they were delicious, my daughter and her friends reallyu enjoyed the cake, well they are at them moment still enjoying them.
I send the cakes to the cupcake event , hope you don't mind.

Unknown said...

hi rosie...my first time here and i must tell you ...you are awesome!!what bakes!thanks to happy cook..i came to your blog thru hers and i tell you i am going to be a loyal visitor here:)

Maria♥ said...

Rosie I tried posting but not sure what happened so will leave another comment incase the other one doesn't go through.

Another wonderful bake!!

Maria
x

Rosie said...

Hi Dell, thanks sweetie :D

Hi Happy, awe thank you for baking my cupcakes and they look gorgeous I was so thrilled to see them on your site :D I also love the idea of using chocolate liqueur mmmmm…

Hi Val, heehee of course you can have one for breakfast – here you go passing one over ;D

Hi Donna, hahahahaha love it "schmooz" it all in your face!! :D :D

Hi recipegirl, I think it’s the thought of a whole cupcake makes me enjoy them too more than a slice of cake :D

Hi Pixie, they were yummy with Tia Maria, hubby has nearly gone through the cake tin like a man on a mission lol

Hi Peter, makes a nice treat to add some booze to sweet treats ;D

Hi Sagari, awe sorry to hear that sweetie about your cakes, don’t give up practice makes perfect and you’ll get there, I promise you. When I first started baking my items weren’t spot on either when I baked, sometimes now a recipe doesn’t quite turn out as I’d wished!

Thanks for all your lovely comments you are all so kind!

Rosie x

Cakespy said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and I would say yes 10 more times but my mouth would rather be full of these awesome and gorgeous cupcakes!!!

Rosie said...

Hi Margot, oh they are great to make and such fun to decorate in whatever creative streak you fancy. You’ll enjoy baking some this Easter :D

Its windy here and really cloudy today too – where is the lovely spring weather we were having gone?

Hi Namratha, awe thank you sweetie :D

Hi Jules, they were quite yummy with the choc coffee combo ;D

Hi Claire, thank you :D

Hi Indigo, hahahahaha you know the way to yours dads heart :D :D

Hi cakelaw, we need virtual screens where you reach in and grab lol

Hi Arfi, thanks for a great spectacular event – it was such fun making up a recipe for these and I said on another comment, cake tin nearly empty lol

Hi nicisme, thank you – you’re such a sweetie and I wish I could pass you one over now….. :D

Hi David, *whispering here so we are all alone and no one can hear us* wink wink - I will marry you only if you cook me your crab dish and your red wine cake ;D

Awe thanks you really made me giggle :D

Hi Saswati, welcome to my little blog and lovely to see you here :D Awe thank you what a huge compliment !!! I have added you to my blogroll and will be visiting your blog from now on too :D

Hi Maria, awe thank you sweetie and loved your wonderful choccy cake too – yum! :D

Hi cakespy, they were yummy and I think my hubby did just that - yes yes-yes-yes until the cake tin is nearly empty again ;D


Many thanks everyone its such a pleasure to come on my blog and have such great feedback – you really know how to make a girl feel happy !! :D :D


Rosie x

Kelsie said...

Wow! Those look DELICIOUS!

I love your blog, it's really great!

--Kelsie

Swati said...

Yum Yum Rosie!!

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Rosie absolutely fantastic!! They looks really nice, Today I was thinkg to try some recipes of cupcakes to the childs'school so I will try this recipe!!! xxxGloria

Uma said...

another fabulous creation from you Rosie! Simply marvellous cupcakes.

Rosie said...

Hi Kelsie, welcome and thank you for the lovely feed back. I have visited your blog and what great skills you have in sugarcraft !! I will be a loyal visitor now to you blog :D

Hi Swati, oooh I loved your cake you have so much talent.

Hi Gloria, Awe thanks and I hope you enjoy baking your cupcakes and I feel honoured that you are trying my recipe – thank you :D

Hi Uma, awe thank you, you are such a sweetie :D

Thank you ladies for all your kind feedback and lovely to see you hear! :D

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Rosie,
you bake such lovely treats, including this one. Please let us know what some of your favorites are because we really want to use them in our future videos! It would be an honor to have add one of your recipes!

Julie said...

Chocofee I love that name, you can never go wrong with coffee and chocolate.

test it comm said...

Those cupcakes look good. Nice and light and fluffy and chocolaty.

Rosie said...

Hi W.O.R couple, Oh my goodness what an honour that you would like in the future to bake some of my recipes for your videos!! I am SO thrilled and excited at the same time here!! I will go through my recipes of my personnel favourites and get in touch with you – thank you so much :D

Hi Julie, Welcome and lovely to *see* you! :D My hubby choose the name after tucking into a few of these cupcakes *giggle* he also loves this combo of chocolate & coffee. I can see me baking up batches in the future for his lunchbox ! :D

Hi Kevin, Welcome & great to *see* you here! :D I think these are huge hit with the family – lol I wonder if it’s the booze inside ;D

Thank you all so much for calling and always lovely to *see* you here!

Rosie x

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Love the cupcakes, Rosie. Just like all your cakes, they look wonderful, and I'm sure they taste great too.

Rosie said...

Thank you Jerri :D

Best wishes Rosie x

Mansi said...

I had a fiasco with my icing yesterday:( but I made it again and now I'm all set to decorate my cupcakes:)