Subscribe To Rosie Bakes A 'Peace' of Cake

Monday 22 October 2007

Butternut Squash Soup & Spelt Bread

Squashes and pumpkins are plentiful in food stores being autumn time in England. In my local store, I purchased two large organic squashes with an exact recipe in mind to use them. Last year I made Butternut Squash soup from Mary Berry’s recipe, which is an absolute winner in my household and one that I knew I’d be making again this year! This is a simple soup to make by cutting the squashes in half and drizzling over olive oil, salt and pepper placing them in a roasting tray and topping up with water to roast away in the oven until the flesh is soft and easy to scoop out leaving the skin behind. A few carrots, onion, celery, grated ginger and chopped rosemary, sweated off in butter and a good vegetable stock added. All the ingredients whizzed together to make a smooth silky soup. Pure comfort food in a bowl served with crusty warm homemade bread.

I baked for the first time a Spelt loaf to accompany the soup. WOW, this spelt bread has a wonderful nutty wheat taste with a nice texture. To think I was ‘knocking back’ dough with spelt flour that was a common ingredient of ancient civilisations! Spelt grains I believe have even been found Stone Age excavations! I used Doves Farm Organic spelt flour and a recipe from their web site.

If you’d like the recipes for the soup and/or bread the links are below.

Butternut Squash soup

2 comments:

Abitofafoodie said...

Butternut squash was on almost every menu is South Africa and I have become addicted to it! I shall definately have to give this soup a try - delicious.

Rosie said...

Hi antonia,

Lovely to *see* you back after your holiday in S/A. Hope you had a great time out there!!

This butternut squash soup is really good. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do in our house :)

Rosie x